MARTINSVILLE – City Sheriff Steve Draper confirms to Star News that two inmates working on outside crews overdosed Thursday evening on fentanyl. City Paramedics used narcan to revive the patients, and then were transported to Sovah Health after evaluation, then transported to the city jail. Another inmate passed out this morning, it took narcan to revive him. Draper is investigating to see if the two incidents are connected. He says, “these men will never get to work outside during their sentence.”
The inmates have been moved to a small church on the property while a complete search of the facility is underway. Draper is frustrated and wants the community to know, “We will do everything we can to keep this stuff out of our jail.”
Draper hopes to have work crews back out Monday if everything checks out.